Domaine des Hauts Châssis Crozes-Hermitage

Region
France - Rhône
Winemaker
Franck Faugier
Size
17 hectare
Established
2003
Grower Website
Visit grower's website

Situated in the heart of the Les Hauts Châssis village in the south of the Crozes-Hermitage appellation, The majority of the property is planted in Syrah with 70% of the vines averaging 20 years and the remaining 30% over 50 years old. He has one hectare of Viognier being developed and another 1.5 hectare in the Saint Joseph appellation for future wine production.

The soil of this terroir is composed of alpine glacial alluvion with a sub-soil 30-40cm of sand and clay.  The large pebbles on the surface collect the heat during the day and transfer the heat to the vines during the night.  The grapes are harvested by hand and with no intervention of chemical products but uses copper treatments very sparingly to facilitate the micro-organisms in the soil.

Franck Faugier took over the family estate in 2003. The winery is modern (stainless steel tanks) but respect for tradition permeates the winemaking process. They employ tillage, pest management, green harvesting, manual stripping, handpicking, égrappages, pigeages during vinification and aging under control to offer you all the pleasure and complexity of Syrah.

Wines Available


Esquisse Crozes-Hermitage

Origin: Crozes-Hermitage, Rhône, France

Soils of Alphine dilvium composed of large pebble stones with presence of course sands and red clay.

Grape Variety

Syrah/Shiraz 100%

Winemaker's Notes

Deep purple and violet colour with black and garnet-red reflections. Spicy on the nose and light reductant: black violet, curcuma, black fruits, prune with alcohol, blackcurrant. Full supple and fruity mouth, supported by silky tannins.

Les Châssis Crozes-Hermitage

Origin: Crozes-Hermitage, Rhône, France

Soils of Alphine dilvium composed of large pebble stones with presence of course sands and red clay.

Vinification

3-4 day cold pre-fermentation maceration (6deg-C), alcoholic fementation at 30-32 degC with daily pumping over and crushing. 12- to 20-day hot maceration (30degC) then hot-running off in demi-muid of 600 litres (from new to 2 years use) for malolactic fermentation. Then 12 months maturing in demi-muid before bottling the following autumn.

Grape Variety

Syrah/Shiraz 100%

Winemaker's Notes

Crimson purple colour with mauve reflections. Elegant, crystallized and spicy on the nose: violet, mocha coffee and Havana, cocoa and nutmeg, black cherry, blackcurrant, black cherry and blackberry. Bright firm and cordial mouth, civilized by tannins made round and silky by the maturing.

Les Galets Crozes-Hermitage

Origin: Crozes-Hermitage, Rhône, France

Soils of Alphine dilvium composed of large pebble stones with presence of course sands and red clay.

Vinification

3-4 day cold pre-fermentation maceration (6deg-C), alcoholic fementation at 30-32 degC with daily pumping over and crushing. 12 to 20-day hot maceration (30degC) then hot-running off in demi-muid of 600 litres (from new to 2 years use) for malolactic fermentation. Then 12 months maturing in demi-muid before bottling the following autumn.

Grape Variety

Syrah/Shiraz 100%

Winemaker's Notes

Deep crimson purple and violet colour; expressive nose, spicy, fruity and crystallised. Vanilla and Havana, cocoa, black cherry, Morello cherry and blackcurrant. Full on the mouth, cordial, fruity; well-balanced with fine and tonic tannins conferring a beautiful length.

Location map


Follow @drinkABFW
Anthony Byrne Fine Wines Ltd. Registered in England and Wales with company number 01713692.
Registered office: Ramsey Business Park, Stocking Fen Road, Ramsey, Cambridgeshire, PE26 2UR.