At the end of the 18th Century Jean Charles Vienot built a wall around his vineyard to create the "Clos de l'Arlot". Taking his inspiration from Italian baroque gardens, his son François then had a very strange and surprising park built in the centre of Clos de l'Arlot, on what used to be a marble quarry.
In 1891 the Clos de l'Arlot was sold to Jules Belin – négociant and son of a notary from Burgundy - who added the "Clos des Forêts Saint Georges" and the "Clos du Chapeau". Numerous artists came to Premeaux, invited by Jules Belin, to make strange sculptures of animal faces from the stones. The estate known as "Maison Jules Belin" was run by members of Jules Belin's family until 1987. In 1987, AXA Millésimes bought the vines (33 acres) and the buildings of Domaine de l’Arlot. The property was run by Jean-Pierre De Smet and Lise Judet until 2006. As from January 2007, Christian Seely has taken over as Managing Director and Olivier Leriche as Technical Director.
Domaine de l'Arlot has moved away from what might be called the "classic" method of vineyard management to a biological one. The yields are kept very low on purpose via severe pruning and the use of natural compost (exclusively and in low quantities). The 14 hectares of vineyards are mainly situated around Nuits Saint Georges and Vosne Romanée. The vines have an average age of 30 (some are 50 years old or more) with an average crop of 35 hl/ha.
Below is a basket of young vines fresh from the nursery, being planted out within the walled "Clos de l'Arlot". The wax coating helps the vines cope with winter temperatures until the root base is established.